Department of Chemistry and Molecular Biology
- Call number: +7 (812) 575 69 08
Departments of organic, physical, biological chemistry and microbiology was established in 1973 as a result of the merger of two previously separate Departmentss of "Organic, physical and colloid chemistry" and "Microbiology and biochemistry" which were established in 1947 after the merger of Leningrad institute of refrigeration industry and the Leningrad institute of chemical technology of dairy industry.
Professors F. Feerman, V. Yanovsky, S. Starodavsky and microbiologists P. Bekensky, L. Horowitz-Vlasova, M. Ilyin worked at the Departments of refrigeration technology in Leningrad institute of refrigeration industry.
The Departments of microbiology and biochemistry which was headed by associate professor N. Novotelnov was organized on base of the Departments in 1937.
ganic chemistry and biochemistry was headed by Prof. K. Debu in the Leningrad institute of chemical technology of dairy industry. Docents E. Terling, V. Casimir and N. Andreev worked here. The Departments of microbiology was headed A. Wojtkiewicz. A. Skorodumova who worked here is known scientist in the area of microbiology of milk. Professor A. Krylov headed the Departments of chemistry of milk. Prof. M. Toryaev and associate professor A. Ovchinnikov worked here.
Departments of organic, physical and colloid chemistry was headed by Nikolai Andreyev (1947-1960). Then it was headed by Mikhail Knyaginichev.
Departments of microbiology and biochemistry has been headed by Nikolai Novotelnov all years. Joint Departments was headed by Prof. Igor Yezhov (1973-1975), Prof. Vladimir Sharobayko (1975-1990), Prof. Boris Veretnov (1990-2000), Prof. Alexander Shleikin (since 2000).
Associate professors Valentina Kazimirova, Capitolina Levitsky, Nina Chervinskaya, Valentin Obreskov, Eugene Kopylov, Arthur Okunev, Alexander Baranenko, Natalia Matveeva, and Alexander Ishevsky have worked at the Departments of organic, physical and colloid chemistry for a long time.
Bella Chernyak, Nina Fedulicheva, Valentina Avdeeva and Elena Jakimovskaya have worked as a head of the laboratory.
Associate professors Andrew Ovchinnikov, Igor Yezhov, Ksenia Gorbatova, Victoria Sedova, and N. Pavlovetz, E. Telegina, I. Salakhova, A. Arkhipova worked at the Departments of microbiology and biochemistry. Valentina Bankovskya and Olga Hrykova have headed the laboratory of biochemistry for decades.
The microbiology laboratory was headed by Tamara Serovikova, Maria Butakova and Galina Smirnova (since 1998).
Currently, teaching staff of the joint Departments is one of the strongest in the university. Doctors and professors O. Volkova, K. Gorbatova, L Krasnikova, A. Skobun, and A. Shleikin are among them. Associate professors J. Belodedova, A. Blandov, P. Gunkova, V. Zhizhin, V. Zyukanov, N. Nikishova, N. Panova, N. Okulovskaya, and N. Skvortsov are experienced teachers.
Such eminent scientists as Knyaginichev Mikhail who is a r known expert on the biochemistry of cultivated plants and, in particular, wheat; Novotelnov Nikolay who studied biologically active substances and enzymes; MD, a biochemist Vladimir Sharobayko worked at the Departments. Professor Gorbatova Xenia continues to work (she is author of 11 books on chemistry, physics and biochemistry of milk and dairy products).
These scientists have laid the foundation of research conducted by teachers and graduate students of the Departments.